DIR-615 E3 Client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
jtleon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm...You are absolutely sure that you are transmitting data through your DIR615E3...reliably, i.e. for more than say 15 minutes?? There is no possibility, that perhaps you were not actually connected to the E3 router - but rather to one of the other routers??

Forgive my disbelief - I loaded 14265 (the small file - not the factory install) over 15778 - and I see beautiful repeater performance for about 5 minutes, then a reboot/freeze, etc.

Do I need to load 14265 the big file?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Bill_And_Ted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:15    Post subject: DIR-615 E3 Client Bridge + VAP ( Atheros "Repeater Brid Reply with quote
I came across this thread while trying to get whole-house coverage for my network. After purchasing 2 new routers, installing 3 different versions of DD-WRT, and trying several different configurations, I can say that the most recent build of DD-WRT for the E3 does work as client bridge, and can also provide an access point (commonly called a "repeater bridge" in Broadcom models).

Here's what worked for me:
1. Install (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation) the latest build from BrainSlayer http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2012%2F07-20-12-r19519%2Fdlink-dir615e3/.
2. Follow the instructions from bobbyboy listed here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47708. He was using a DIR-300, but the instructions work for the DIR-615 (and are easy to follow).

My original intention was to move everything to N, but I have some legacy devices, so I have a WD MyNet N900 (surprisingly powerful and easy to use) broadcasting in N-only to my DIR-615 (N-only mode), which I also attached a DIR-625 (my old router) to, so I can have a separate SSID for mixed G&N. Works great!

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has posted on the various forums and of course the developers for making it all happen!
Yurple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 14:57    Post subject: Tried all three builds available on DIR 615 E3 no bridge Reply with quote
I'm trying to set up a second wireless client bridge to my main bell router, first one was a success after a little prodding and works great.

I currently have 14265 loaded and it tells me I successfully join the network, then I go to status and it seems to be scanning all the channels even after I specified channel 6. I don't understand the router vs. gateway setting in advanced routing tab, the linksys (Linksys WRT160Nv3 build 14896) one has gateway selected, I've tried both ways and nothing works. Seeing that others paired routers is very frustrating, you should all be failing here! Wink
ivan@dd-wrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 16:07    Post subject: use build 14896, it is working on my dir-615 e1 Reply with quote
I also tried very combination possible and could not get client bridge to work. I also tried at least 3 different builds before running into this post http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged. You can download that build using following URL http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=13599.0
sizmo01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 23:36    Post subject: DIR-615 E3 Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. Got one by mistake. After two days of fighting with the flash saw your post. Up for two hours now! Build 14265 is the ticket! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dir615e3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will test it for a few more weeks - for stability and performance. The setup is extremely newbie unfriendly. But after 4 days of trying, on and off, I made it work. I think the reason for me, is I am using a laptop to do the setup, sometimes, after the router is reboot, my laptop fails to retrieve an ip, that's why i had so much trouble - this complicates things tremendously.

I will write a little about my experience. First of all, I thank the developer for this software, and also many veteran users on writing wikis and providing help for others at their own spare time. I appreciate it very much. I read many posts in the forums, sometimes multiple times in order to get a grip.

Secondly, dd-wrt svn build r14265 is an old build when there is no distinction between e1/e2/e3/e4/e5 yet, so you cannot use the factor_to version on your dlink-615 e3, what I did was to flash it to a higher version, say r15778, then using the non-factory version to downgrade to r14265, of course, now dd-wrt reports it as e1, but who cares, as long as it works, I will keep it as e1.

Contrary to many wiki guides, I did not have to change my ip to static at all. The main reason is that my ip address for my main router is using 192.168.1.1 subnet already. I actually had lots of trouble when trying to set ip as static ip. I did try to pair it with another router (tp-link 340GD, which is using 192.168.3.x subnet). I kind of having a sense of why, but I could not write it down clearly. so I will leave it, but I will try to answer if somebody else having the same issue. Just PM me.

Some tips for other newbies in the future. When setup, always open a command prompt, switch off wireless interface on your computer (which is used to connect to the router which is running dd-wrt), in my case, the laptop has a button to switch wireless on and off. and do "ipconfig /all" regularly in the command prompt, when do the apply settings, the router will usually reboot, you have to be patient in order for your computer to recognize the ethernet interface, sometimes you have to manually reboot by unplugging the power. I learned the hard way, sometimes after rebooting it once or twice, your computer may still not able to get a correct ip, it sometimes takes up to three times to reboot (could be router or laptop) to get the correct ip, maybe it's just my laptop (also make sure don't do hard reset all the time, as it will wipe out all the settings, just unplug and reboot will help, unless you are deliberate in setting the default).

As soon as I was able to get my main router to recognize dlink, and I was able to ping it remotely, I knew it would work, since you guys have already set the precedence. In the end, I can see on my main router, I got an ip for my dlink router, I can ping it remotely, but on my laptop, I still have no internet, at this stage, I rebooted my laptop, viola, it shows internet connection. The similar thing happened to my netbook, I have reboot it twice to get it recognize the router ip. I think this is reasonable, as the same would occur if you are setting up your brand new router to your system, you may have to power cycle everything, esp modem, router, computer to get things recognized. So bear in mind, some power off, reboot is required and you kind of should expect this to happen.

Another tip, when you get a working setup, do a backup of your settings, it's in administration -> backup. It will save your day, esp when you are planning to customize your setting further.

Another funny thing is, no matter how hard I tried, client mode won't work in my case, as soon as I set it into client mode - I did change ip to a different subnet, my main router refuses to recognize dlink.

Edit: On my main router, I had mac filter on, however, the mac address of dlink is not the same as the hardware mac printed on the router, it's off by one, i'm not so sure it's the same situation as others. For example, my hardware mac is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x9, but mac shown in dd-wrt is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x8, you have to use the one in dd-wrt for mac filter permission settings.

Anyway, keep on sharing and keep on improving.
Matt6543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sweet. Mine's paired with a Netgear WNR834B v2.
dir615e3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally, I got it paired with my netgear wndr3700 in client bridge mode.
Matt6543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dir615e3 wrote:
Now if only I could get it working in client bridge mode.

Well, 14265 has been working well for me in client bridge mode for at least a few weeks now - I've only had to reboot the router a couple times over that period. So keep at it. Good luck!
dir615e3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, big eyes of mine. Finally I found it.

Now if only I could get it working in client bridge mode.
Matt6543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know where you got that link from, but it doesn't look like you used the router database. Go to http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database and look up your router.
dir615e3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that build has been removed, this is the link to the root of all builds for both 2011 and 2010.

ftp://dd-wrt.com//others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

I searched everywhere to find this build with no luck.
Matt6543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42    Post subject: Re: Works with Build 14265. Reply with quote
dir615e3 wrote:
Anyone knows where I can find this build r14265?

Go to the router database and look up your router. Where it says "supported by," there's a drop-down list, and if you click on it, 14265 is the earliest one in there. After you've selected the revision you want, then below that you can click on whichever file you need to download it. If you've currently got the factory firmware installed, then you want the one with "factory-to-ddwrt" in the name; if you've got another version of dd-wrt installed, then you want the one without that.
dir615e3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50    Post subject: Re: Works with Build 14265. Reply with quote
rahvan wrote:
This thread is old but just in case any one is still interested:

My DIR-615 E3 is currently working as a Client Bridge with this build:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/14/10) std
(SVN revision 14265)

I can't vouch for reliability yet because I just managed to set this up after several unsuccessful attempts with other builds. 14265 is one of the older builds but Client Bridge setup works on the E3.

Set it up as Client Bridge as per instructions online. Don't forget one thing. After you Join from the Site Survey page (Status > Wireless > Site Survey) and Save settings, Go to Setup --> Advanced Routing --> Operating Mode and set it to "Router".

You need to set this explicitly in this older build. Newer builds don't need this which is why I am mentioning it.

Anyone knows where I can find this build r14265?
Matt6543
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's definitely easier to figure out what the problem is if you just do one thing at a time. I would try changing the router's IP before trying to connect it to the main network, and disable your network security before setting up the client bridge. Then you can turn it back on once it's set up. When you're setting up the client bridge, make sure that under advanced routing, the operating mode is set to router and not gateway. Also, in the firewall section, make sure you disable everything other than filter multicast before you disable the firewall. And you have to make sure that all of the wireless settings are exactly the same as the main router, such as SSID (case sensitive), wireless network mode, and channel. This build of the firmware seems to have worked for everyone else who tried it with this router, so I think the problem must be in your setup somewhere.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: